Once you have the Flipside Creator Tools installed and set up, here are the steps to create a custom character for your Flipside shows.
Characters in Flipside are 3D models with humanoid rigs (skeletal structures). These can be made in character creation tools like Adobe Fuse and Mixamo, or in any 3D modelling program such as Blender or Maya.
Character models must be exported in the FBX file format.
1. Import your character's 3D model by dragging the FBX file into your Unity project's Project pane.
2. Select the character model in Unity's Project pane, then click on the Rig tab in the Inspector pane.
3. Set the Animation Type setting to Humanoid then click Apply.
4. Select the character model in Unity's Project pane, then click Continue in the Import Your Character wizard.
5. Look for any instructions in the Build Character wizard and follow them to finish the setup of your character (e.g., lip syncing setup).
6. Click Continue in the Build Character wizard to generate the asset bundle for your character.
7. Click Continue to Website in the You're Done! wizard to launch the Flipside Creator Dashboard. Log into your Flipside Creator Account to continue.
8. Click the Add Character link to add a new character. You can find your generated character file at the path specified in the All Done! wizard pane, which is in the AssetBundles subfolder of your Unity project with a name like avatar-123-character-name with no file extension.
9. Relaunch the Flipside app to see your new character in the Characters palette.
In Unity, you can press Play at any time to preview your character in VR. You'll see your character standing in front of you in a T-pose. You can also test its movement to look for any issues with your rig, weight painting, or scale. The controls are as follows:
This helps reduce the time it takes to test your characters and see how they will feel in VR.
Contact us to help you create and import your own custom characters.